Islamic College of Brisbane
An Australian Islamic School
Best School; Best Learning Journey
Nurture growth and foster ethics to achieve full potential
To educate, to inspire, to make a difference
Ethos & Values
Morality, Excellence, Innovation
As an Australian Islamic School, ICB values the national principles and respects the social, cultural and religious diversity of Australia. ICB encourages excellence and innovation for the development of highly motivated learners to reach their full potential. The college adheres to:
1- National values of democracy, equity and justice.
2- Freedom of religion.
3- Rules of law.
4- High quality schooling.
5- Inclusive and diverse learning experiences.
6- Safe and supportive learning environment.
7- Growth of school community.
8- Islamic morals, ethical values and beliefs.
9- Objectives of Islamic education.
10 -Values for Australian Schooling.
ICB values are underpinned by the inclusive Islamic ethos of equality, respect and humility. ICB virtues promote the production of self-directed and proactive learners, individuals and citizens.
We are proudly different; an Australian Islamic school with passion for learning, innovation and maintaining the wealth of traditions and Islamic culture. The combination of Islamic ethos and Values For Australian Schooling forms the moral system of Islamic college of Brisbane. It is the foundation of actions and activities, the core of teaching and learning, and the overarching culture at ICB. The college appreciates and promotes:
1- Care and Compassion: Care for self and others.
2- Doing Your Best: Seek to accomplish something worthy and admirable, try hard, and pursue excellence.
3- Fair Go: Pursue and protect the common good where all people are treated fairly for a just society.
4- Freedom: Enjoy all the rights and privileges of Australian citizenship free from unnecessary interference or control and stand up for the right of others.
5- Honesty and Trustworthiness: Be honest, sincere and seek the truth.
6- Integrity: Act in accordance with principles of moral and ethical conduct, ensure consistency between words and deeds.
7- Respect: Treat others with consideration and regards, respect another person’s point of view.
8- Responsibility: Be accountable for one’s own actions, resolve differences in constructive, non-violent and peaceful ways, contribute to society and civic life, and take care of environment.
9- Understanding, Tolerance and Inclusion: Be aware of others and their cultures, accept diversity within a democratic society, being included and include others.
In striving for the college PRIDE, we are Passionate and Responsible to Inclusive and Diverse learning to achieve Excellence.
Islamic college of Brisbane (ICB) is a Prep to Year 12 Co-educational Independent School located near Karawatha forest on the south side of Brisbane. With a vision to be an example of the best learning space for young learners, we aim to provide innovative, high quality and holistic education for approximately 1200 students. We endeavour to help maximise the learners’ educational potential, and enable them to become effective and informed citizens.
ICB students enjoy the strength and flexibility of the Australian Curriculum. They are supported in planning for their future career and getting on the pathway for continued success. The curriculum is designed to enable each student to build social and emotional intelligence, and develop the capacity for creativity, problem- solving and innovation. A range of activities are designed to prepare successful learners who are confident, active and creative individuals. The provision of the ICB curriculum meets the objectives of Islamic Education, promoting the intellectual, physical, moral, spiritual and aesthetic development, and wellbeing of young learners.
Our students grow in a diverse multicultural educational environment. ICB is made up of students from over forty countries, representing almost forty different cultures. We welcome students from different ethnic and religious backgrounds.
Boys and girls respect and live by the ethos and values of Islamic faith, and develop understanding of, and inclusion in the wider Australian community.Unity in diversity forms the very unique fabric of Islamic College of Brisbane. Our Educators are dynamic and diverse professionals led by best practice and creative thinking. Our students flourish in a caring and supportive school community. They are proud of their identity and celebrate the school diversity.
“Nurture growth and foster ethics to achieve full potential”
ICB strives to build the character of young learners, enabling them to become refined and experts, able to lead in the changing world, and anchored to their faith whilst exploring new horizons. They will respect themselves and one another, appreciate individual differences, and encourage one another to reach their potential.
At ICB we are preparing a generation of good citizens to have the necessary knowledge, understanding, skills, critical thinking abilities and values for a productive and rewarding life in an educated, just and open society. The schooling journey and curriculum at ICB provide a foundation for the children's intellectual, physical, social, moral, spiritual and aesthetic development. Our goals align with the national goals; we aim to develop lifelong learners who:
- Have qualities of self-confidence, optimism, high self-esteem, and a commitment to personal excellence as a basis for their potential life roles as family, community and workplace members.
- Have personal attributes and acquired virtues to establish and maintain healthy and happy lives.
- Have the capacity to exercise judgment and responsibility in matters of morality, ethics, and social justice, the capacity to make sense of the world, to think about how things got to be the way they are, to make rational and informed decisions about their own lives, and to accept responsibility for their own actions.
Through true education, following the best teacher in Islam, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and the words of Allah in the Holy Quran “O my Lord, Increase me in knowledge” ( Taha 114), ICB is helping to advance lifelong learners who are able to contribute to the betterment of the community nationwide and serve humanity globally.Unity in diversity forms the very unique fabric of Islamic College of Brisbane. Our Educators are dynamic and diverse professionals led by best practice and creative thinking. Our students flourish in a caring and supportive school community. They are proud of their identity and celebrate the school diversity.
Our vision: Best school, Best Learning Journey
Islamic college of Brisbane provides the best learning journey for the young learners in a safe and moral environment through continuous development of the ICB wider school community (learners, staff, parents). ICB provides quality education opportunities, and aims to produce self-disciplined and reflective individuals able to lead the change for a healthier society. ICB will be a leading best education model empowered by improved technology and digital literacy.
We demonstrate this to the students by:
- Providing quality Islamic learning experiences
- Providing quality secular learning experiences.
- Inclusive Education.
- Safe and supportive school community.
- Personalised learning experiences.
- Promoting a culture of excellence.
- Promoting high expectations of the educational outcomes.
- Opportunities for leadership and role models.
- Effective transition between Primary and Secondary school.
- Offering a range of pathways to meet the diverse learning needs.
- Pastoral care approaches and varied student services.
- Outstanding extra-curricular programs.
- Creativity in curriculum design.
- Investment in talent and supporting innovations.
- Outdoor Education programs.
- Best learning space.
We demonstrate this to the staff by:
- Acknowledging efforts and celebrating achievements.
- Welfare services and positive teaching and workplace culture.
- Flexible professional development opportunities.
- Support for quality teaching outcomes.
- Refined high-quality teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Promoting a culture of high expectations.
- Structured Leadership model.
We demonstrate this to the community by:
- Courage and knowledge to support empathy.
- Working in partnerships with the local communities to promote high expectations of the learning outcomes of our students.
- Developing partnerships with the local community to advance the learning experiences of ICB learners.
- Participating in service and charity programs.
- Building national and international partnerships based on cross-cultural respect.
- Working collaboratively with parents, carers and families to maximise the students’ engagement and achievements.
- Inclusive School community.Unity in diversity forms the very unique fabric of Islamic College of Brisbane. Our Educators are dynamic and diverse professionals led by best practice and creative thinking. Our students flourish in a caring and supportive school community. They are proud of their identity and celebrate the school diversity.
- To establish an educational environment in which each student may develop an understanding of the central truths of the Islamic faith, the moral values that are rooted in the Holy Qur'an, the Hadith and Man's relation to Allah and fellow Man.
- To provide for general, liberal, scientific, cultural, artistic, religious education and also education for vocational effectiveness, social responsibility, intercultural and international understanding, effective use of leisure, creativity and individual fulfilment, and to prepare students for effective participation in the community life.
- To create a harmonious and stimulating community atmosphere in which staff are mutually supportive and care for the students and in which the students can grow as persons developing a feeling of self-worth, a high level of personal integrity, a sincere respect for others, and increasing sense of individual responsibility and competence to form mature value judgements and an ability to establish constructive relationships.
- To promote physical fitness and confidence through maintenance of good health, and to encourage participation in sport and recreational activities of the School, in particular promoting the following educational objectives:
- To encourage each student to develop self-appreciation, social awareness, reverence of life, integrity and responsibility;
- To ensure that each student is encouraged to develop the highest possible level of academic and cultural attainment of which he or she is capable, with excellence as a goal in all activities;
- To help each student develop the power to think constructively and logically, to solve problems and to reason independently;
- To guide each student towards a spirit of freedom and confidence which recognises self-discipline and personal responsibility;
- To encourage tolerance, respect for others and good manners, in accordance with the teachings of Islam;
- To involve each student in a range of experiences which will enable him or her to participate effectively in society;
- To encourage in each student a practical and informed awareness and appreciation of the natural environment;
- To offer experience of Islamic living through example and counselling, study of the Qur'an, the traditions of the Islamic life and prayers.
The ICB logo represents the purpose of the school:
1- Seek Knowledge: Our purpose is to Educate, and our aim is to produce knowledgeable citizens and individuals. We are inspired by the words of the prophet: “Seeking Knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim”.
2- The dome and minaret: They are distinctive of Islamic culture. ICB strives to create an education environment based on Islamic morals, ethical values and beliefs.
3- Arabic Words: “IQRA” means “read”, it encompasses the dedication to learning displayed in the school and the responsibility to quality education and learning, as it is the first word to be revealed to Prophet Muhammed (PBUH). The cultural aspect of Islam appears in the Arabic Translation of the school’s name.
4- The book and the rays: They represent the illumination of knowledge and spiritual enlightenment offered by the school. As in a sunrise, they refer to the way to a better future, which describes the learning journey at the school.
5- Olive laurels: They are associated with peace, which encompasses the welcoming culture and unity in diversity.
6- The wreath: Historically it has been associated with achieving Excellence, which supports our purpose to make a difference.
Together for the best learning journey and better future for all